Servings: Serves 4
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken breast
- 1/4 cup (a generous handful) flat-leaf parsley , chopped
- 4 cloves garlic , finely chopped, divided
- 1/2 small yellow-skinned onion , finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika , a palmful
- 4 teaspoons hot sauce , divided
- 2 lemons , zest and juice
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning , such as Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick, divided
- Extra-virgin olive oil , EVOO—for drizzling, plus 1/4 cup (eyeball it)
- 1/2 pound chorizo , peeled from casing, cut on an angle 1/2 inch thick*
- 1 jar (14-16 ounces) Piquillo peppers or roasted red peppers , drained well
- Salt to taste
- 4 jumbo shrimp or prawns , 8 count per pound, peeled and deveined and butterflied*
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin , 1/3 palmful
- 1 can (15 ounces) ' ' garbanzo beans , drained
- 3 to 4 small ears fresh corn , kernels cut off or 1 box (10 ounces) frozen corn , defrosted
- 1 small red onion , peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro , a palmful
- 1/4 cup drained chopped salad olives or Spanish olives with pimientos
- 4 Portuguese rolls (slightly sweet rectangular crusty rolls), split—any crusty bread or roll of choice may also be subbed here
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
Preheat a large grill pan, griddle or nonstick skillet over medium-high to high heat.
Place chicken in a bowl. Add chopped parsley, 3 cloves of the chopped garlic, onions, paprika, 2 teaspoons of hot sauce (eyeball it), the zest of 1 lemon and a palmful of grill seasoning to the bowl. Drizzle some EVOO over the chicken, then mix the meat to combine. Score the meat into 4 potions and form patties 1 inch thick. Wash up and add the patties to the hot pan or grill. Cook 5 minutes on each side.
Place the chorizo above or along side burgers. Cook the sausage just a minute or 2 on each side. It is already fully cooked; you're just crisping the edges and heating it through. Remove crisped chorizo slices and reserve.
Grind the peppers in a food processor to form a pepper paste. Season peppers with a little salt to taste, if necessary, and reserve.
Dress shrimp with lemon zest, the juice of 1/2 lemon, EVOO and grill seasoning. Grill the butterflied shrimp or prawns along side the burgers, 2 minutes on each side, press them down to keep them from curling up by using a plate or small skillet weighted down by something heavy from your pantry, like canned good. You can also press the shrimp in a sandwich maker or panini press if you have one.
In a medium bowl, combine remaining 2 teaspoons hot sauce, cumin, remaining 1 clove chopped garlic, the juice of 1 whole zested lemon, about 1/4 cup EVOO. To the dressing, add the garbanzo beans, corn, red onions, cilantro and olives. Toss the salad to coat and season with salt and pepper, to your taste.
Remove meat and shrimp to a plate and char rolls if you like them crunchy or, press them in a sandwich maker. If the rolls are fresh and super crusty already, just split them open. Add chopped lettuce to roll bottoms then top with chorizo, chicken patty and shrimp. Slather the bun top with ground peppers and set in place. Serve succotash along side.
* To butterfly the shrimp, cut into and across but not all the way through then spread the meat, like wings. For the shrimp, cut along the devein incision, then spread it open.