Out-of-This-World Watercress Salad
Recipe created by Patti LaBelle
January 01, 2006
Thanks to bagged watercress, putting this salad together doesn't get any easier. Watercress is very perishable, so try to buy it the same day you're going to serve the salad.
Servings: Makes 12 servings
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white or black pepper
- 1 pound watercress , tough stems trimmed
- 2 large red tomatoes , cut into bite-size wedges
- 1 large yellow tomato , cut into bite-size wedges
- 1 sweet onion , such as Vidalia, thinly sliced
- 1 large cucumber , peeled, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper , seeded and cut into short strips
- 1 cup radishes , cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms , quartered
- 1/2 cup hearts of palm , cut into bite-sized pieces
Combine the oil, vinegar, basil, chives, shallots, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper in a container with a tightly sealed top (a small canning jar works well). Cover tightly and shake well, until dressing is well blended. Use immediately or refrigerate, covered, until ready to use. Shake well before serving.
In a large bowl, toss the watercress, red tomatoes, yellow tomato, onion, cucumber, bell pepper, radishes, mushrooms and hearts of palm. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and toss to coat.
From the book Patti LaBelle's Lite Cuisine
110 calories, 10 grams fat, 1.5 grams saturated fat, 0 mg of cholesterol, 105 mg sodium, 5 grams carbohydrate, 1 gram fiber, 2 grams protein
Diet exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 fats or 0 carbohydrate choices
Printed from Oprah.com on June 19, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.