A listener named Liz calls in to tell Peter about her love of cooking for others. Liz says her fondness for throwing dinner parties comes from her mother. "[She] understood that having people in your home and feeding them was a way to care for them and a way to socialize that is really fun and really personal," she says. Liz shares with Peter some shortcuts that she uses to throw a stress-free dinner party:
- Plan your menu a few days before the party.
- Write out a schedule or a timeline for cooking so that you don't forget to make anything.
- Buy preseasoned or marinated cuts of meat at the grocery store.
- Use dishwasher-safe dishes to save on cleanup time.
- Clean up the kitchen as you go so that you don't have to deal with a mess the next day.