- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion , chopped into 1/4-inch dice
- 4 stalks celery , chopped into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) white button or cremini mushrooms , sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage (or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried)
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups prepackaged mixed brown and wild rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt , plus more for turkey
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper , plus more for turkey
- 1 (12-pound) organic turkey
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325°. Remove neck and bag of giblets from turkey cavity, then rinse turkey inside and out and pat dry with paper towels. Fill neck cavity with some cooked rice mixture—don't stuff too tight. Fold neck skin over rice and fasten to turkey back with 1 or 2 skewers. Spoon remaining stuffing into body cavity—again, don't stuff too tight. (If any rice mixture remains, place in an ovenproof dish and cover with foil.) Fold skin over cavity opening. Tie legs and tail end of bird together with kitchen string. Rub remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over skin of turkey and season generously with salt and pepper.
Place turkey on a rack in a roasting pan. Roast about 3 1/2 hours, basting with juices and drippings in bottom of pan during last hour of roasting. Remove from oven and let sit 15 minutes before serving.
Transfer turkey to a large platter. With a spoon, transfer rice from turkey to a bowl. To reheat extra rice, place ovenproof dish in oven with turkey during last 30 minutes of cooking, until heated through. Serve at once.