This recipe is one of O's tasty homemade gifts.
- 12 Tbsp. (1 1/2 sticks) butter , at room temperature (large batch: 36 Tbsp. or 4 1/2 sticks)
- 6 Tbsp. granulated sugar (large batch: 18 Tbsp.)
- 2 Tbsp. finely grated orange zest (from about 1 orange; large batch: 6 Tbsp. from about 3 oranges)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (large batch: 6 cups)
- 1/2 tsp. fine salt (large batch: 1 1/2 tsp.)
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks (large batch: 3 cups)
- 1 Tbsp. raw, granulated, or turbinado sugar (optional; large batch: 3 Tbsp.)
Total time: 45 minutes
Preheat oven to 325°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar, and zest by hand or with an electric mixer. Mix in flour and salt, then add chocolate chunks and mix until combined. Dough will be somewhat loose. Using your hands or a pastry ring, shape into an 8-inch circle about 3/4 of an inch thick; transfer to prepared baking sheet. Decoratively crimp edges, if you like. Using a fork, prick dough to mark 8 or 10 even wedges, pressing the tines through to the bottom.
Sprinkle with raw sugar, pressing down gently to ensure it sticks. Bake until golden brown around the edges, about 30 minutes. Cool completely on the sheet.