Servings: Serves 6
- 5 ounces coarsely chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 2 Tbsp. coffee or water
- 2 Tbsp. Grand Marnier
- 4 large eggs , preferably organic
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- Candied orange peel , for garnish; available at Amazon.com
- Edible gold flakes , for garnish; available at Amazon.com
Combine chocolate, coffee (or water), and Grand Marnier in the top of a double boiler. Stir until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Separate eggs. When chocolate has cooled, whisk in yolks.
In a medium bowl, whip chilled heavy cream to soft peaks. In another bowl, beat egg whites until foamy; add sugar, and beat to soft peaks. Fold half of whites into chocolate until incorporated, then fold in rest of whites. Finally, fold in whipped cream.
Spoon mousse into 6 glasses; chill at least 4 hours. To serve, top each glass with candied orange peel and gold flakes.