Created by Art Smith
When you're looking for something spicy and hearty, look no further than this Southern-style dish. It's one of Oprah's favorites, and it's sure to become one of yours too!
Servings: Serves 6
- 1 Vidalia onion , chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic , minced
- 1/2 green bell pepper , chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper , chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock or 4 cups water and 3 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 4 cans (15 ounces) natural organic red beans , drained and washed
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) natural tomatoes , chopped
- 1 teaspoon of salt-free Creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Freshly ground pepper , to taste
- Hot pepper sauce , to taste
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
In a Dutch oven (a heavy metal, covered pot), add the onion, garlic, green bell pepper, red bell pepper and vegetable stock. Braise the vegetables in the vegetable stock until soft. Add the beans, tomatoes, seasoning, cumin, ground pepper, hot sauce, thyme and bay leaf. Simmer for 15–20 minutes. You may need to add more vegetable stock if the beans become too dry.
After the beans have simmered, season to taste with salt and add the chopped Italian parsley. Serve with fresh steamed brown rice and hot sauce.