- 12 trimmed asparagus spears
- 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 4 slices crusty bread
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced baked or boiled ham
- 1 large tomato , cut into 8 slices
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced fontina cheese
Meanwhile, preheat broiler (if it not in a separate part of oven, arrange a rack 6 inches from the heating element). Mix mustard and mayonnaise together in a small bowl; spread onto one side of each bread slice. Layer ham, tomatoes, and fontina cheese onto bread slices, then arrange sandwiches in a single layer on a baking sheet.
Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 2 minutes. (Watch closely to make sure bread doesn't burn.) Transfer sandwiches to plates and top with asparagus. Serve immediately with a green salad on the side, if desired.
Extra idea: Use the main ingredients—asparagus, ham, tomato, and fontina cheese—to make a beautiful frittata.