Servings: Serves 10
- 1 cup shelled walnuts
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup macadamia nuts
- 1 cup shelled pistachios
- 2 bags (16 ounces each) herb-seasoned stuffing mix
- 3/4 to 1 pound pork sausage meat
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 large onion , peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery , thinly sliced
- 3 carrots , peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
Preheat oven to 350°. On a baking sheet, spread walnuts, almonds and macadamias into an even layer. Bake until golden and fragrant, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool. Add pistachios; coarsely chop nuts.
Place stuffing mix in a very large bowl; set aside. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add sausage and cook until browned, about 6 minutes, stirring frequently to break up any chunks. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate; let drain. Discard any fat left over in skillet.
Heat butter in skillet until melted. Add onion, celery, carrots and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes. Transfer to bowl with stuffing mixture; add sausage, sage and pepper and toss to combine. Pour chicken broth over stuffing mixture; mix well. Refrigerate until ready to use. Before using, stir in nuts; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.