Pizzas are topped with goat cheese and mushrooms for a delicious appetizer.
Servings: Makes two 16" x 5" pizzas
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 medium shallots , sliced into thin rings
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 pound assorted mushrooms , uniformly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 store-bought pizza dough
- 2 (3.5-ounce) logs goat cheese , crumbled
Place a pizza stone, if using, in center of oven. Preheat oven to 450°.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Sauté, stirring frequently, until shallots caramelize, 10 to 12 minutes. Set aside.
In another skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, thyme and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook until mushrooms wilt and liquid evaporates, 5 to 7 minutes.
Divide dough and form two pizzas. Brush each with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Strew mushrooms and crumbled goat cheese evenly over pizzas.
Slide one pizza onto the hot stone. Bake until crust is golden, 8 to 10 minutes; repeat with the second pizza. If using a heavy baking sheet, increase cooking time to 10 to 12 minutes.
Strew caramelized shallots over tops of pizzas; season with pepper. Cut into wedges.
Printed from Oprah.com on May 23, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.