Servings: Makes 8 servings
- 1 cup button mushrooms , stems trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 small shallot , minced
- 1 clove garlic , thinly sliced
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Pinch freshly ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white truffle oil
- 1 baguette , thinly sliced and lightly toasted
In a medium saucepan, combine mushrooms, shallot, garlic, thyme, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Add enough water to just top mushrooms. Cover and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender.
Remove pan from heat and let stand until mushrooms are cool. Strain mushrooms in a sieve set over a medium bowl, reserving the liquid. Let drain well.
Place mushrooms in a blender and, with motor running, add olive oil in a thin, steady stream, blending until mushrooms are pureed. Add truffle oil and blend until smooth. If puree is too thick, add a little of the reserved liquid; taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. With a rubber spatula, turn puree into a small serving bowl. The puree can be covered and refrigerated up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature before serving with toasted baguette slices.