This simple arugula salad showcases sublime, delicious, fresh mozzarella.
Servings: Serves 4
- 2 Tbsp. plus 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 thick slices crusty bread , cut into 1/2-inch cubes (or 8 thin slices)
- 1 tsp. finely minced shallot
- 1/2 tsp. salt , plus more to taste
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper , plus more to taste
- 1 Tbsp. sherry wine vinegar
- 1 large bunch (about 8 cups) arugula , ends trimmed, washed, dried, and chopped into 2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup black olives (preferably oil cured), pitted and halved
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella at room temperature, sliced
To make croutons: Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium skillet until simmering. Add bread and fry, tossing until crisp and golden on all sides. Set aside to cool slightly.
To make dressing: In a small bowl, combine minced shallot, salt, pepper, and vinegar. Whisk in 1/4 cup olive oil.
Toss arugula with dressing in a large bowl. If desired, add more salt and pepper to taste. Divide greens among 4 plates. Scatter olives and croutons over each plate, then lay mozzarella slices on top.
Printed from Oprah.com on March 11, 2014
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.