Servings: Serves 4
- 2 Tbsp. and 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. and 3 Tbsp. jaggery sugar or light brown sugar , divided
- 3/4 tsp. sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp. ground mace or allspice
- 1/8 tsp. kosher salt , plus more to taste
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes , peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup plain or salted popped popcorn
- 3 Tbsp. chopped pecans , toasted
- 3 Tbsp. pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds), toasted
- 1/2 cup sour cream
Jaggery sugar is a dark, unrefined sugar often used in Indian cooking. It's available at Indian grocery stores and Amazon.com
Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons oil, cumin, 1 teaspoon sugar, paprika, pepper, cinnamon, turmeric, cloves, mace, and 1 teaspoon salt. Add sweet potatoes, toss to coat, and arrange on a large baking sheet in a single layer. Roast, tossing occasionally, until just tender, about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, if pepitas aren't already toasted, toss with 2 teaspoons oil and place on a baking sheet; toast in the oven, tossing occasionally, until just crisp, about 10 minutes.
Melt butter in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in remaining 3 tablespoons sugar and cook for 1 minute. Add roasted sweet potatoes, popcorn, pecans, and pepitas; salt to taste. Cook, stirring often, until glazed and heated through, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to plates, top with sour cream, and serve immediately.