This recipe is one of O's tasty homemade gifts.
- 2 1/2 cups dried chickpeas , picked through for stones
- 1 cup dried red lentils , picked through for stones
- 1/3 cup dried onion flakes
- 1/4 cup dried parsley
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. mild curry powder
- 1 Tbsp. garam masala
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 quarts low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can coconut milk
- Kosher salt to taste
- Fresh cauliflower and green beans (optional)
- Cilantro and lime wedges , for garnish (optional)
Total time: 2 hours, 45 minutes
To make dry soup mix: Decoratively layer ingredients in a 1-quart jar; seal.
To make soup: In a large pot, combine dry soup mix and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until chickpeas are just tender, about 2 hours. (The lentils will soften and break apart to thicken the soup.) Uncover, stir in coconut milk, and simmer vigorously over medium heat until chickpeas are tender and soup is thickened, about 30 minutes more. If using vegetables, add about 5 minutes before finishing. Season with salt, garnish with cilantro and lime wedges, and serve.