This omelet demonstrates how versatile and flavorful egg whites are—the possibilities for seasoning and filling combinations are endless. And by eliminating the egg yolks, we decrease the fat and cholesterol by half.
Servings: Makes 1 omelet
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil spray
- 1/4 cup diced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup small diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup packed spinach
- 1 tablespoon low-fat cream cheese
- 3 egg whites , lightly whipped
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the broiler. Heat a sauté pan with a flameproof handle over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the vegetables and sauté them until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Pour the egg whites over the vegetables and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the bottom is done and the sides are firm, about 4 minutes. Spread the cream cheese on top of the omelet.
Place the pan under the broiler for about 2 minutes to finish cooking the top of the omelet. Remove from heat. Fold over half the omelet and serve.
(per 1/4 cup) 110 calories, 2.5 grams fat, 1 gram saturated fat, 5 mg of cholesterol, 520 mg sodium, 10 grams carbohydrate, 2 grams fiber, 13 grams protein