Created by the chef of San Francisco's Palace Hotel in the early 1920s, this dressing pairs perfectly with hearts of romaine or other crunchy green lettuces.
Servings: Makes 1 1/4 cups
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 green onions (white parts plus 2 inches of the green), chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 3 anchovy fillets in oil, drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper , to taste
In a blender or food processor, combine all ingredients except pepper until well mixed. Scoop into a bowl and season to taste with pepper. Cover and refrigerate before using.