Orange zest brightens the flavor of this cinnamon hot chocolate, giving it a fruity kick. A shot of Kahlúa transforms it into a very adult after-dinner drink. Mexican chocolate tablets can be purchased at www.mexgrocer.com.
Servings: Serves 4–6
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate or Mexican chocolate tablets
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso granules
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Cinnamon sticks, for garnish
- Sweetened whipped cream (optional)
Combine chocolate, sugar, espresso granules, cinnamon, salt, orange zest and 1 1/2 cups water in a medium saucepan over low heat. Stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
Stir in milk and almond extract; reheat but do not boil. Remove saucepan from stove; whisk hot chocolate until foamy.
Pour into mugs. Garnish with cinnamon sticks and top with whipped cream, if desired.
Printed from Oprah.com on March 8, 2014
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.