- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate or Mexican chocolate tablets
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso granules
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Cinnamon sticks, for garnish
- Sweetened whipped cream (optional)
Stir in milk and almond extract; reheat but do not boil. Remove saucepan from stove; whisk hot chocolate until foamy.
Pour into mugs. Garnish with cinnamon sticks and top with whipped cream, if desired.