- 1 bottle (750-milliliter) Merlot
- 2 cups pomegranate juice
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 1 star anise
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 (3-inch) piece orange peel
- 1 vanilla bean , split in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup honey
- 8 Anjou or Bosc pears , peeled and cored
- 2 cups nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Add pears, standing them upright in pot. Cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes, until fruit is tender. Allow to cool in liquid.
When cool, remove pears with a slotted spoon and place on a platter. Cover and refrigerate at least 5 hours. Meanwhile, strain wine mixture into a bowl and discard solids. Return wine liquid to pot and boil over high heat until reduced to just over 1 cup, 20 to 30 minutes. Cool and refrigerate.
To serve, pour wine syrup over pears. Combine yogurt and cinnamon; drizzle on top of each pear. Best served cold.