Servings: Makes 1 pizza
- 1 pound matzah , broken up
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup oil (reserve 1 Tbsp. for frying pan)
- 1 large onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tsp. chopped basil
- 2 or 3 cups mozzarella , shredded
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350°. Soak the matzah for 10 minutes in warm water and squeeze well. Add the eggs, oil and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well. Press the mixture out on a pan, leaving a little edge on the sides. Bake in 350° oven for 30 minutes.
Drop a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and sauté the onion and garlic. Add the tomato paste and 2 cans worth of water, season with basil, salt and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes and pour over the crust. Sprinkle with plenty of mozzarella.
Bake in hot oven until cheese is bubbly (about 15 minutes).
You can top the pizza with anything, but some interesting ideas are:
- Figs, asparagus and aged balsamic (sprinkle)
- Yellow and red peppers and feta
- Cherry tomatoes, rosemary and olives