Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Banana and Brown Sugar
- 8 sweet potatoes or large yams , each about 10 ounces
- About 3 Tbsp. kosher salt , plus additional as needed
- 1 banana , with a 2-inch slit cut into the peel
- 8 Tbsp. (4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. finely ground fresh black pepper , plus additional as needed
2. Place directly on hot coals and cook for about 20 minutes, or cook in a 350°F barbecue for about 50 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a paring knife. At the same time, cook the banana in the peel until blackened, about 15 minutes.
3. Carefully take the potatoes out of the foil and scoop the flesh out from the skin into a large bowl. Cover with foil. Scoop the flesh out of the banana into a separate bowl.
Increase the temperature to high.
4. Place a small roasting pan or deep baking dish with high sides that can take the direct flame (a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with a 15-cup capacity is ideal) over the heat and let heat up for 5 minutes.
Add the butter and let melt. Add the cream, cinnamon stick, brown sugar, potatoes, banana, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes and banana, and stir to combine.
Season to taste with additional salt and pepper as needed.
From Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang. Copyright © 2009. Published by Hyperion. Available wherever books are sold. All rights reserved.