Servings: Makes 6 servings
- 20 whole black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/2 lemon
- 3 pounds medium chicken tenders
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 1/4 teaspoons curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Butter for spreading
- 1 loaf challah or other rich egg bread, cut into 12 thick slices
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 medium tomatoes , chopped
- 1 bag (about 5 ounces) mesclun salad greens
- Red grapes and assorted berries for garnish
In a large saucepan over high heat, add peppercorns, bay leaves, cloves, lemon and 14 cups water; cover and bring to a boil. Add chicken and cook, uncovered and stirring occasionally, 7 to 10 minutes, or until cooked through; drain. Once cool, quarter each tender crosswise.
In a large bowl, combine mustard, honey, curry powder, lemon pepper and salt; stir in chicken. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes, or up to 1 day.
Butter both sides of bread slices. In a heated nonstick skillet over medium-high flame, cook bread in batches 3 to 5 minutes or until browned, turning once.
Combine carrots and almonds with chicken mixture. Divide chicken curry among 6 bread slices. Top with tomatoes, mesclun and remaining bread slices. Serve with fruit.