- 1 (3 1/2-pound) whole duck (available at Whole Foods nationwide)
- 1 small yellow onion , sliced in half
- 1 head garlic , cloves separated and unpeeled
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 bunch fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup Vermont maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 ribs celery , finely diced
- 2 large carrots , peeled and finely diced
- 1 medium yellow onion , diced
- 4 cloves garlic , thinly sliced
- 2 heads Savoy cabbage (cored and white ribs removed), blanched
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350°. Remove innards from cavity of duck and wash bird thoroughly. Fill duck with onion, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper. In a small bowl, combine vinegar and maple syrup; brush outside of bird liberally with mixture.
Place duck on roasting rack and cook 1 hour, glazing periodically.
To make cabbage:
In a large sauté pan over medium flame, heat oil. Add butter, celery and carrots; sauté 5 minutes. Add onion and garlic; sauté another 5 minutes, or until onions are translucent. Add cabbage, then season with salt and pepper. Place on a platter and serve roasted duck on top.