Servings: Makes about 5 cups
- 6 large firm-ripe mangoes (about 6 pounds), peeled, pitted, and cut crosswise into thin slices
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 10 cloves garlic , peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger , peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Place ingredients in a 4-quart heavy saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 1 hour, uncovered, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until chutney thickens.
Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl; allow to cool. Store in an airtight jar and refrigerate until ready to serve.