- 2 cups apple juice
- 1/4 cup Calvados
- 2 Granny Smith apple cores (apples reserved for salad)
- 2 Tbsp. mustard
- 1/2 cup champagne vinegar
- 2 shallots , chopped
- 1/2 bunch thyme
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds jumbo lump Maine crabmeat
- 2 Granny Smith apples , julienned (cores reserved for vinaigrette)
- 1 avocado , cubed
- 8 bunches mache (if not available, substitute 5 1/2 ounces organic mixed greens)
- 1/2 bunch fresh chervil , chopped, for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
In 3 separate bowls, dress crab, a mix of apples and avocado, and mâche with 1/3 cup vinaigrette each. Divide apple-and-avocado mixture among 6 chilled bowls and top with crab. Set mâche aside.
To make tuiles: Preheat oven to 350°. On a baking sheet lined with a reusable nonstick liner (Teflon), mound 1/4 cup cheese for each tuile, leaving at least 3 inches between mounds. Bake 5 to 7 minutes until crisp, watching carefully to avoid burning. Remove tuiles from oven and allow to cool completely before removing from pan. Set aside.
Mound mâche alongside apples, avocados, and crab in each bowl, and serve with tuile on side. Sprinkle chervil over salad and serve.