Servings: Serves 4
- 1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup nonfat skim milk
- 1/2 cup butternut or cauliflower puree
- 1 1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese (about 8 ounces)
- 4 ounces (almost 1/4 cup) reduced-fat or nonfat cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the macaroni and cook according to package directions until al dente. Drain in a colander.
While the macaroni is cooking, coat a large saucepan with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add the oil, then the flour, and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture resembles a thick paste but has not browned, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the milk and cook, stirring every now and then, until the mixture begins to thicken, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the vegetable puree, Cheddar, cream cheese and seasonings and stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth. Stir in the macaroni and serve warm.