- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow or white onion , minced
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- Handful cilantro , minced and extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 1/4 cups dried red lentils
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 stalks celery , minced
- 2 carrots , peeled and minced
- 1 lemon (optional)
- 1 cup plain kefir or yogurt mixed with zest and juice of one lemon (optional)
Heat olive oil in the bottom of a large pot. Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic, cilantro and spices and cook for a few more minutes. Add lentils, tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes.
Finish with celery and carrot for a surprising crunch, and add a squeeze of lemon.
Top with lemony kefir topping for a boost of probiotics and protein.
From the book Mom-a-licious: Fresh, Fast, Family Food for the Hot Mama in You! by Domenica Catelli