From Domenica Catelli
Don't be intimidated if you've never cooked with lentils. These tiny legumes are full of flavor, nutrient dense and cook in just 15 minutes. Check for them in the bulk section or the aisle where you find rice and beans.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow or white onion , minced
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- Handful cilantro , minced and extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 1/4 cups dried red lentils
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 stalks celery , minced
- 2 carrots , peeled and minced
- 1 lemon (optional)
- 1 cup plain kefir or yogurt mixed with zest and juice of one lemon (optional)
Heat olive oil in the bottom of a large pot. Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic, cilantro and spices and cook for a few more minutes. Add lentils, tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes.
Finish with celery and carrot for a surprising crunch, and add a squeeze of lemon.
Top with lemony kefir topping for a boost of probiotics and protein.
From the book Mom-a-licious: Fresh, Fast, Family Food for the Hot Mama in You! by Domenica Catelli
Published on January 01, 2006