Servings: Serves 4
- 1 pound ' ' fresh egg-free pappardelle (wide noodles with rippled sides) or egg-free fettuccini
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (you can reduce this to 1 tablespoon if you like)
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- Sea salt to taste
- ' ' Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 cups defrosted frozen fresh peas
- 1/2 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 12 mint leaves , chopped
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese ' ' or vegan parmesan cheese (available at most heath food stores)
- Whole fresh peas for garnish
Boil a large saucepot of salted water and cook the pasta until al dente. Meanwhile, in a wide nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat until hot. Add the onion, cooking until tender. Add the peas and chicken broth, and heat this mixture. Transfer into a blender and puree, occasionally scraping down the sides of the blender with a rubber spatula.
When the pasta is done, drain it. Add the puree to the pasta, and stir until evenly coated. Add the mint leaves and toss well. Serve with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and garnish with whole fresh peas and fresh ground pepper.