- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (1 1/2- to 2-pound) lobster
- 2 carrots , cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 stalks celery , cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 fennel bulb , cut into quarters
- 1 onion , cut into large chunks
- 4 ears corn , kernels removed, cobs reserved
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup liquor (pastis, Pernod, or anise-flavored)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Cut lobster meat into 1/2- to 1-inch chunks and refrigerate. Place shells on a baking sheet. Add carrots, celery, half the fennel, onion and reserved cobs. Roast 1 hour, turning shells, vegetables and cobs so they don't burn. Ten minutes before removing, spread with tomato paste.
Remove pan from oven and pour liquor onto vegetables, shells and cobs. Transfer to saucepan of reserved broth. Bring to a boil; simmer until reduced by half (8 cups), about 30 minutes. Strain; discard solids.
Thinly slice remaining fennel; add to soup with corn and simmer 10 minutes. Add cream and reserved lobster meat; cook until lobster is heated through, about 5 minutes. Season generously with salt and pepper.