Servings: Serves 6
- 3 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 2 scallions , including the greens, chopped thin
- 1 cup roasted corn or 1 cup canned corn , drained
- 1 shredded carrot , approximately 1/4 cup
- 1 cup cilantro , coaresly chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans , rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese , grated
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese , grated
- 1 ripe avocado , sliced thin
- 1 head lettuce (or equivalent amount of mixed greens, such as arugula or baby romaine)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt and some cracked black pepper
Heat a fry pan on medium-high heat until hot. Pour the canola oil in and coat the bottom of the pan. Add the meat, breaking it up and letting it brown. When the meat starts to sizzle, add the packet of taco seasoning mix and 1 cup of water. Cook according to package directions. When done, drain the fat and set the meat aside to cool to room temperature. To make the vinaigrette dressing:
Place all the ingredients in a glass bowl and whisk, cover and set aside. Can be made 3 days ahead and kept for a week in the refrigerator.
Chop the lettuce, arugula and baby romaine into small chunks and add to a large salad bowl. Add the scallions, corn, carrot, cilantro, black beans and cheese. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt and vinaigrette dressing, mixing well.
Add the avocado and toss gently. Serve with your favorite salsa, extra lime wedges, a dollop of guacamole and some crushed tortilla chips!
Start the meal with a fabulous bowl of tortilla soup—very satisfying!Watch Cristina make this recipe!