Servings: Serves 4–6
- 4 large ripe tomatoes , cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 pound Brie , rind removed, torn into irregular pieces
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves , rinsed, patted dry and cut into strips
- 3 cloves garlic , peeled and finely minced
- 1 cup plus 1 Tbsp. best-quality olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt , plus additional to taste
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds linguine
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese , for garnish (optional)
At least 2 hours before serving, combine the tomatoes, Brie, basil, garlic, the 1 cup olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a large serving bowl. Bring 6 quarts salted water to a boil in a large pot. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and the linguine, and boil until tender but still firm, 8 to 10 minutes.
Drain the pasta and immediately toss with the tomato sauce. Serve at once, passing the peppermill, and the grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, if you like.
Recipe from The Silver Palate Cookbook by Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins, Copyright © 1982 by Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins. Excerpted by permission of Workman Publishing. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.