Lettuce "Gyros" with Tilapia and Yogurt Sauce
Recipe created by Cat Cora
March 11, 2009
Try chef Cat Cora's
recipe for lettuce "gyros" with tilapia and yogurt sauce, a dinner from her complete seven-day menu
Servings: Serves 4–6
- 3 fillets (6 ounces each) tilapia or preferred fresh fish
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp. cayenne pepper , halved or good chili pepper spice blend (optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 head butterleaf lettuce , leaves separated
- Handful tomatoes , diced for garnish
- 1 medium yellow onion , sliced thinly for garnish
- Black or kalamata olives , pitted and halved
- 1 Tbsp. dried Italian herb seasoning blend
- 1 head scallion , sliced thinly on the bias for garnish or yogurt
- Kosher sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 lemon , juiced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
For gyros: Preheat grill or oven to 400°.
Season the fish with half the olive oil, half the lime juice, chili pepper blend, salt and pepper. Let sit and absorb for 10 minutes. Place on the grill or in the oven until cooked through, but not dry, about 6 to 8 minutes.
In a mixing bowl, mix the tomatoes, onion, olives, Italian herb blend, the remaining olive oil, remaining limes juice, salt and pepper and blend well. Once the fish is done, remove from the oven and let sit until slightly warm. On lukewarm serving plates, flake a generous amount of fish into each butterleaf lettuce leaf.
Serve condiment-style with bowls tomato/onion mixture, tzatziki, scallions, etc. to make your own style as preferred.
For tzatziki: Add lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and salt to the yogurt. Chill for at least 1 hour.
Printed from Oprah.com on March 9, 2014
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.