Servings: Serves 4–6
- 1 pound lentils , rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 carrot , diced
- 1 small onion , diced
- 1 stalk celery , diced
- 3 to 4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. fresh chopped dill
- 1 tsp. kosher salt , plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper , plus more to taste
- 4 cloves garlic confit | Get the recipe!
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter , softened
In a 2 1/2-quart saucepan, place rinsed lentils, bay leaf, carrots, onion, and celery. Add enough broth to cover by 1/2 inch. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook until just tender, 45 to 50 minutes; there should be some liquid (about 3 tablespoons) left.
Remove from heat; season with dill, salt, and pepper. If desired, add additional salt and pepper to taste.
Mash garlic confit with unsalted butter. Stir into cooked lentils, and serve hot.