- 1 pound lump crabmeat
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots , finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil; reduce to simmer. Add lemon juice and keep warm on a back burner.
In a large, heavy-bottom saucepan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil. When just smoking, add shallots and stir quickly with a wooden spoon until lightly golden and tender. Add rice and stir 1 minute to coat. Add 1/2 cup hot broth, stirring constantly. Continue cooking until almost all liquid is absorbed, then add another 1/2 cup broth. Repeat until rice is tender and almost all broth has been used, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat and add crab; stir until blended. Add 1/4 cup broth and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, lemon zest, and thyme; stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper and serve.