- Vegetable oil , for brushing pan
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs , separated, plus 2 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
- 1/3 cup Gewurztraminer (or similar sweet white wine)
- 1/2 cup DaVero Meyer-lemon olive oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pint fresh berries (blackberries, blueberries, or raspberries), plus additional for garnish
- 2 to 4 tablespoons confectioners' sugar (depending on desired sweetness)
Combine flour and salt in a medium bowl and set aside. In a large bowl, beat 5 egg yolks and sugar at medium-high speed about 2 to 3 minutes, until it is light yellow and ribbons form when beaters are lifted. Add flour mixture to egg mixture and beat on medium-low until well blended. Beat in lemon zest. In a small bowl, combine wine and olive oil; gradually pour into large bowl in a thin, steady stream, beating until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
In a clean mixing bowl, beat 7 egg whites until stiff (not dry) peaks form. Gently fold 1/3 of whites into batter with a rubber spatula, then fold in remaining whites just until combined.
Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 45 to 50 minutes, until cake springs back when gently touched and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Remove pan from oven and cool on a wire rack. Run a long, thin knife around edge of pan; detach ring. Pulse berries and confectioners' sugar in a blender or food processor until smooth, about 30 seconds. Top cake with puree and fresh berries.
Recommended ingredients: DaVero extra-virgin olive oils are available from www.davero.com.