Servings: Makes 1 quart (Serves 2–4)
- 4 large leeks , white part only
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 cups fresh peas or 14 ounces frozen peas
- 8 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint
- 1 tsp. kosher salt , plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- Crusty bread , for serving
Split leek in half lengthwise then cut into 1/4-inch slices crosswise. Place in a large bowl of cold water and allow to soak for 5 minutes. Lift leeks out of water and place in a strainer.
In a large sauté pan over low heat, melt butter, add leeks, and make a lid by cutting a piece of parchment paper the same size as the top of the pan. Place cut parchment directly on leeks. Cook for about 20 to 25 minutes until very tender, turning gently every 10 minutes to allow even cooking and avoid any browning. Add peas and gently stir into leeks. Add stock, raise heat to medium-high, and cook another 10 minutes. Remove pot from heat and stir in mint, salt, and pepper. Adjust seasoning with additional salt if desired. Serve with crusty bread on the side.