Servings: Makes 18 sliders
- 3/4 cup kamut berries
- 1 large yellow potato (about 3/4 pound)
- 7 Tbsp. olive oil , divided
- 1 medium yellow onion , finely chopped
- 1 carrot , peeled and finely chopped
- 1 Anaheim or poblano chili , stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 leek , white and light green parts only, finely chopped
- 1 cup sea palm fronds , soaked in water for 15 minutes, drained well and finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. chopped garlic (from about 3 cloves)
- 2 cups cooked white beans , such as cannellini or great northern, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1 cup finely ground dried bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
- 2 Tbsps. chopped chives
- 2 Tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard , plus more for serving
- 1 Tbsp. chopped marjoram
- 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. hot sauce (optional)
- 1 zucchini , grated
- 1 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large red onion , thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. umeboshi plum paste
- 1 Tbsp. agave nectar or brown rice syrup
- 1 Tbsp. brown or regular rice vinegar
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 18 pieces whole wheat focaccia or soft rolls , split
- Mustard for serving (optional)
- Sprouts or microgreens for garnish
Notes: Look for kamut, sea palm fronds, and umeboshi paste at your local natural grocery store or Asian market. If you don't plan on serving all the sliders at once, freeze the patties on a parchment-paper-lined sheet tray until firm, then transfer to a freezer container or bag and freeze. (Defrost in the refrigerator before cooking.)
Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add kamut, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until tender, about 1 1/2 hours; drain well and set aside to cool. Meanwhile, put potatoes in a small pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until almost tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain well, cool, peel, and grate.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add yellow onions, carrots, chilies, and leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Add palm fronds and garlic and cook 2 to 3 minutes more; set aside to cool. Meanwhile, pulse 1 cup beans in a food processor until smooth.
In a large bowl, using a spoon or your hands, mix together kamut, potato, onion-carrot mixture, mashed beans, remaining 1 cup whole beans, bread crumbs, flaxseeds, chives, parsley, mustard, marjoram, vinegar, hot sauce (if using), zucchini, salt, and pepper until combined. Form mixture into 18 (3-inch) patties, using about 1/3 cup mixture to make each. Transfer to a sheet tray when done; set aside.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add red onions and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 7 to 8 minutes. Add plum paste, agave nectar, vinegar, and pepper flakes. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until soft and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes more; set aside.
Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Arrange half of the patties in skillet and cook, flipping once, until golden brown and hot throughout, 8 to 10 minutes total; transfer to a plate when done and keep warm. Repeat process with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and patties. Spread mustard on focaccia or rolls, if you like, and then top with patties, red onion mixture, and sprouts. Serve immediately.