- 3/4 cup kamut berries
- 1 large yellow potato (about 3/4 pound)
- 7 Tbsp. olive oil , divided
- 1 medium yellow onion , finely chopped
- 1 carrot , peeled and finely chopped
- 1 Anaheim or poblano chili , stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 leek , white and light green parts only, finely chopped
- 1 cup sea palm fronds , soaked in water for 15 minutes, drained well and finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. chopped garlic (from about 3 cloves)
- 2 cups cooked white beans , such as cannellini or great northern, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1 cup finely ground dried bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
- 2 Tbsps. chopped chives
- 2 Tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard , plus more for serving
- 1 Tbsp. chopped marjoram
- 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. hot sauce (optional)
- 1 zucchini , grated
- 1 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large red onion , thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. umeboshi plum paste
- 1 Tbsp. agave nectar or brown rice syrup
- 1 Tbsp. brown or regular rice vinegar
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 18 pieces whole wheat focaccia or soft rolls , split
- Mustard for serving (optional)
- Sprouts or microgreens for garnish
Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add kamut, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until tender, about 1 1/2 hours; drain well and set aside to cool. Meanwhile, put potatoes in a small pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until almost tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain well, cool, peel, and grate.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add yellow onions, carrots, chilies, and leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Add palm fronds and garlic and cook 2 to 3 minutes more; set aside to cool. Meanwhile, pulse 1 cup beans in a food processor until smooth.
In a large bowl, using a spoon or your hands, mix together kamut, potato, onion-carrot mixture, mashed beans, remaining 1 cup whole beans, bread crumbs, flaxseeds, chives, parsley, mustard, marjoram, vinegar, hot sauce (if using), zucchini, salt, and pepper until combined. Form mixture into 18 (3-inch) patties, using about 1/3 cup mixture to make each. Transfer to a sheet tray when done; set aside.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add red onions and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 7 to 8 minutes. Add plum paste, agave nectar, vinegar, and pepper flakes. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until soft and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes more; set aside.
Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Arrange half of the patties in skillet and cook, flipping once, until golden brown and hot throughout, 8 to 10 minutes total; transfer to a plate when done and keep warm. Repeat process with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and patties. Spread mustard on focaccia or rolls, if you like, and then top with patties, red onion mixture, and sprouts. Serve immediately.