Jewels' Favorite Soup Jill Makes
Recipe created by Jewels and Jill Elmore
May 22, 2009
Chef Jill Elmore says: "I always keep the pantry stocked with beans, chicken stock and canned tomatoes (I prefer San Marzano). Even if I don't have time to go to the store, I can make this soup anytime. It's flavorful, hearty and healthy. When Jewels came home from the hospital after having her baby, I left this for her in her fridge. She loved it and still asks me to make it for her."
Servings: Serves 6–8
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) cannelloni beans , drained and rinsed
- 6 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 2 cloves garlic , sliced
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion , chopped in a medium dice
- 2 ribs celery , chopped in a medium dice
- 4 ripe tomatoes , cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp. sea salt or kosher salt
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley , roughly chopped
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese , grated
1. Place beans, stock and garlic in a large pot on the stove. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low and continue cooking for 20–30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the skillet is warm, add the olive oil and sauté the onion and celery for 5–6 minutes until soft and translucent. Next, add the tomatoes and salt and continue to cook another 3–4 minutes.
3. Add the vegetable mixture and parsley to beans. Cook another 15 minutes or so to meld flavors together. Serve with Parmesan cheese.
Jill's Smart Ideas
1. If you don't have any fresh tomatoes, chop up some canned tomatoes instead.
2. Add pieces of leftover roast chicken.
3. Add some spice by throwing in 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper when cooking the vegetables.
Recipe from The Family Chef by Jewels and Jill Elmore, courtesy of Celebra Books, an imprint of Penguin Group (USA).
Printed from Oprah.com on December 7, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.