Servings: Serves 8–10
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound chicken thighs, cut into pieces
- 1 pound shrimp , peeled and deveined
- 1 pound tilapia or white fish or halibut or orange roughy , cut into cubes
- 1 pound smoked sausage , sliced
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 1 bell pepper , chopped
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 4 stalks celery , chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Creole seasoning
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 4 tomatoes , peeled, seeded and chopped
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt to taste
- 4 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
Place the olive oil in a large Dutch oven and place over medium heat. When hot, add the chicken, shrimp, fish, sausage, onion, bell pepper, garlic and celery. Cook until just lightly brown.
Add the Creole seasoning, tomato paste, tomatoes and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
Add the bay leaves, season with salt and stir in the long-grain rice. Reduce the heat so that the mixture simmers, then cover. Cook until the liquid has almost evaporated, about 30 minutes. Great jambalaya should be a little wet.
Just before serving, remove the bay leaves and stir in the freshly chopped parsley. Serve and enjoy.
Back to the Family © 2007 by Thomas Nelson Publishers.