- 3 cups tart cherry juice , such as Knudsen's Just Tart Cherry
- 3 cups red wine (Choose one with big blackberry or cherry notes such as a shiraz, merlot, burgundy or cabernet sauvignon)
- 4 ounces (or less, to taste) sugar
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice or 1 squeezed lemon plus rind
- 1/8 tsp. (a dash) ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 1 1/2 pounds (about 4 cups) morello cherries (or other tart cherries), ideally fresh off the tree! Canned or frozen pitted cherries will also suffice.
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup sour cream (or whole milk yogurt)
- 2 ounces flour (optional, to use as a thickening agent)
If the soup is still warm and you'd like to thicken the broth, combine sour cream or yogurt with flour in a small heat-resistant bowl. Stir until smooth. Ladle a spoonful of warm soup into the sour cream mixture and whisk to combine. Gradually pour the sour cream/soup mixture back into the pot of soup, in a steady stream, stirring to combine until smooth.
If the soup is completely cooled, just add the sour cream or yogurt until smooth.
Chill 2 to 4 hours.
Serve cold. Garnish with fresh mint leaves and crème fraîche—made with equal parts heavy cream and sour cream.
Recipe courtesy of Rick Martin, Free State Brewing Company.