For being one of the easiest things to make for your fiesta, there might not be a more popular dish than this classic Mexican dip.
This recipe is from Jewels and Jill's Healthy Festive Menu
Servings: Serves 6 (3 to 4 cups)
- 4 large firm-ripe avocados , preferably Hass
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped cilantro , plus a few whole leaves for garnish (optional)
- 1 serrano or jalapeno chili , finely chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. minced garlic (optional)
- Tortilla chips , for serving
Cut the avocados in half. Remove pit and use a spoon to scoop out flesh into a medium bowl.
Add remaining ingredients to bowl (except whole cilantro leaves and tortilla chips); mash with a fork or potato masher until mixture is combined and at desired consistency, preferably slightly chunky.
Garnish with cilantro leaves, and serve immediately with tortilla chips on the side. Store any leftover guacamole in the refrigerator for a couple of days with plastic wrap directly on surface to prevent discoloring.
Reprinted by arrangement with Celebra, a member of Penguin Group (USA), Inc. Copyright © Jewels and Jill Elmore, 2009.
Printed from Oprah.com on December 13, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.