This recipe is from Jewels and Jill's Healthy Festive Menu.
- 4 large firm-ripe avocados , preferably Hass
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped cilantro , plus a few whole leaves for garnish (optional)
- 1 serrano or jalapeno chili , finely chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. minced garlic (optional)
- Tortilla chips , for serving
Add remaining ingredients to bowl (except whole cilantro leaves and tortilla chips); mash with a fork or potato masher until mixture is combined and at desired consistency, preferably slightly chunky.
Garnish with cilantro leaves, and serve immediately with tortilla chips on the side. Store any leftover guacamole in the refrigerator for a couple of days with plastic wrap directly on surface to prevent discoloring.
Reprinted by arrangement with Celebra, a member of Penguin Group (USA), Inc. Copyright © Jewels and Jill Elmore, 2009.