Herbed Salmon Cakes
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 lemon , sliced
- 4 stems parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless salmon fillet
- 1 large egg , seperated and 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Nonstick cooking oil spray
- Lemon wedges, for serving
Place the salmon in the liquid and cover. Cook just until the salmon changes to an evenly pale pink shade, about 3 minutes (the salmon will be rare in the center). Using a large slotted spatula, transfer to a plate and cool.
Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 200°F.
Mix the egg yolk, parsley, chives, dill, thyme, lemon juice and zest, and the salt and pepper. Flake the salmon, add to the bowl and mix well.
Beat the egg whites in a small bowl just until soft peaks begin to form. Do not overbeat. Fold into the salmon mixture.
Spray a large skillet with oil and heat over medium heat. (You can also cook the salmon cakes on an indoor or outdoor grill, following the same instructions.) Using a 1/2-cup measuring cup, scoop mounds of the salmon mixture onto the skillet, and flatten each slightly with a spatula. Cook until the undersides are golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn and brown the other side, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm while making the remaining cakes.
Serve hot on Boarding House Biscuits with Chives with Remoulade Sauce and lemon wedges.