Splash olive oil and lemon juice over this Greek version of Caprese salad, layered with chalk-white feta, fresh oregano, cucumbers, red onions, and colorful heirloom tomatoes.
Servings: Serves 4–6
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano (or 1/2' 'teaspoon dried), and whole oregano leaves for garnish
- 4 pounds assorted heirloom tomatoes , cut into wedges or halved, depending on size
- 1/2 cucumber , sliced into very thin rounds
- 1 small red onion , sliced into very thin rings, soaked 15 minutes in cold water and drained
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
In a sealable container, combine olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, 1/2 tsp. salt, and chopped oregano. Seal and shake well. On a serving plate, arrange tomato, cucumber, and onion slices in random layers. Drizzle with dressing; season with salt and pepper. Top with feta cheese and garnish with whole leaf oregano before serving.