- 1 small white onion , cut into chunks
- 1 large clove garlic , peeled
- 1 large red bell pepper , cored, seeded and cut into chunks
- 3 pounds mixed heirloom tomatoes , halved and seeded, and 1 Green Zebra or other green heirloom tomato , cut into 8 wedges, for garnish
- 2 to 3 cups tomato juice
- 2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt , plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper , plus more to taste
- Pinch cayenne pepper , plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil , for drizzling
Transfer tomato-pepper mixture to bowl containing onion and garlic mixture. Stir in 2 cups tomato juice. Mixture should have the consistency of thick soup; to make thinner, add 1 more cup juice. Stir in vinegar, salt, pepper and cayenne. Refrigerate until chilled. Adjust seasoning to taste before serving.
To serve, pour into individual glasses. Drizzle with olive oil and garnish each glass with a tomato wedge.