Servings: Serves 8–10
- 4 quarts homemade or canned chicken broth
- 1 3/4-pound cleaned whole chicken
- 6 large carrots , scrubbed, thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions , chopped
- 3 stalks celery , diced
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh dill
- 1/2 pound (8 ounces) medium egg noodles
- Freshly ground pepper
In a large pot combine broth and chicken. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes, or until juices run clear. Remove chicken from pot and set aside until cool enough to handle. Strain broth. (Chicken and broth may be prepared to this point a day ahead and refrigerated.)
Return broth to pot and bring to a boil. Add carrots, onions, and celery. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
Shred meat from chicken, discarding skin and bones. Tear into small pieces. Add chicken meat back into pot along with herbs and noodles. Increase heat to medium-high and continue to cook until noodles are just tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.