Servings: Makes just under 1 1/2 cups
- 1/4 cup celery seed , ground
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 1/4 cup granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1/4 cup granulated onion or onion powder
- 1/4 cup ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. ground bay leaf
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. mace (or substitute allspice)
- 1 tsp. dry mustard powder
- 1 tsp. salt
Find ground bay leaf at TheSpiceHouse.com
, or grind leaves to a powder in a coffee grinder.
Combine all ingredients. Store in a tightly closed container. Will keep for 3 months in a dark cool place or in the freezer for up to a year.This recipe is adapted from
Gullah Cuisine, by Charlotte Jenkins and William Baldwin (available at EveningPostBooks.com). Gullah Cuisine restaurant is in Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina.