Servings: Makes just under 1 1/2 cups
- 1/4 cup celery seed , ground
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 1/4 cup granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1/4 cup granulated onion or onion powder
- 1/4 cup ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. ground bay leaf
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. mace (or substitute allspice)
- 1 tsp. dry mustard powder
- 1 tsp. salt
Find ground bay leaf at TheSpiceHouse.com
, or grind leaves to a powder in a coffee grinder.
Combine all ingredients. Store in a tightly closed container. Will keep for 3 months in a dark cool place or in the freezer for up to a year.This recipe is adapted from
Gullah Cuisine, by Charlotte Jenkins and William Baldwin (available at EveningPostBooks.com). Gullah Cuisine restaurant is in Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina.
Printed from Oprah.com on May 24, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.