Servings: Serves 6
- 1 pound white turkey meat , ground
- 1 pound dark turkey meat , ground
- 1 large onion , minced
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 2 carrots , peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery , chopped
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) tomatoes , chopped with their juices
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Fresh ground pepper
- Kosher salt
- 4 large potatoes (Yukon Gold are the best)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup peas , frozen
- 1 cup green beans , fresh and blanched till tender
- 1/2 cup light cheddar cheese for garnish
Spray a sauté pan with cooking spray. Over medium heat, brown both turkey meats. Add the onions, garlic, carrots and celery, and cook until just tender. Add the tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, and ground pepper and salt to taste. Set aside.
Peel and cube the potatoes, and place them in a saucepan. Add enough water to just cover the potatoes, and salt to taste. Boil the potatoes until they are soft, then pour off most of the water, leaving a few tablespoons. Add the buttermilk and mash until fluffy.
In a 9" x 6" casserole dish, add the turkey mixture, peas and green beans and mix together. Top with the mashed potatoes and spread over the turkey mixture. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and bake in a 350-degree oven until the cheese is bubbly and melted.